Sometimes you can experience plugin issues that seem to be caused by Really Simple SSL. What most people forget, is that when you activate Really Simple SSL, you also force SSL. In some cases this can also cause the issue.
When you activate the SSL plugin, three things happen:
- siteurl and homeurl are changed to https
- .htaccess redirects are added
- Mixed content fixer is activated
So to track down what is causing the issue, you can follow these steps:
- I would always start with deactivating the mixed content fixer in Settings/SSL/Settings
- If that doesn’t fix the issue, try removing the redirect rules from Really Simple SSL in your .htaccess file. To do this, look up your .htaccess file in the webroot of your site, using a FTP client (make sure hidden files are shown), and search the Really Simple SSL comments.
To make sure the plugin does not write the .htaccess, you can add this to your wp-config.php (also in your webroot): define( ‘RLRSSSL_DO_NOT_EDIT_HTACCESS’, true );
- Still no luck? Try renaming the plugin file to really-simple-ssl-bkp. To do this, go to your FTP client, navigate to your site, and lookup wp-content/plugins/really-simple-ssl
Now the plugin is deactivated, but the siteurl was not changed back to http, and the .htaccess redirects are left in place. These would be removed when you deactivate in the WP dashboard.
This should give some insight into where the cause lies.
Step 1 fixes your issue?
This could be because the plugin adds a comment to check if it’s working. You can remove it by adding a filter. This might cause issues when the comment is added to json output.
If that does not help, there might be a url that is forced to https where a service does not have an SSL certificate. You can investigate this be looking for mixed content errors in the Google Chrome console.
Step 2 helps?
In this case the issue would seem the redirect. Check if the other plugin or a service tries to request your site over http.
Step 3 fixes the issue
If only step 3 fixes the issue, the plugin code is conflicting with the other plugin. If that is the case more research will be needed to get to the bottom of it. Please contact me if that is the case