We recommend to enable the 301 .htaccess redirect option

Home Forums General issues We recommend to enable the 301 .htaccess redirect option

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cathryn G. Gibson
    Participant

My host handled the SSL and must have installed the Really Simple SSL plugin, as I didn’t.

I have an exclamation warning in the configuration settings as below.

I want to enable it but am so worried that I will break the site and have to go through the whole SSL thing again.

Is it recommended and will it fix some of my site issues?

Many thanks, Cathryn

WordPress 301 redirect enabled. We recommend to enable the 301 .htaccess redirect option on your specific setup. Enable or dismiss1

Mark
    Keymaster

Hi Cathryn,

what kind of issues do you have exactly on your site? The .htaccess is usually enabled because it’s slightly faster than the WordPress 301 redirect. The plugin performs quite a few check before recommending to enable the .htaccess redirect. In 99% of activations it will work flawlessly. If it doesn’t work correctly, you can remove the .htaccess redirect as described here: https://really-simple-ssl.com/knowledge-base/remove-htaccess-redirect-site-lockout/.

Since the WordPress 301 redirect will also work fine, you can safely dismiss the notice as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

Cathryn Gibson

Thankyou so much.

I am trying to speed my site up and wondered whether that option should be enabled. I did a GTMetrix check and it mentions redirects, I think.

I can’t afford to have the website down but if it might make a difference, the 1% chance may be worth it.

Bluehost Support installed it when I had a problem with ssl.

Mark
    Keymaster

The .htaccess option is generally the fastest option, so you might notice a small improvement in speed.

Abdulraheem Muhammad

Pls will I get more traffic through this

Mark
    Keymaster

Hi Abdulraheem Muhammad,

enabling the .htaccess redirect won’t give you more traffic directly, it can help in improving your site speed which is a known ranking factor for Google.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.