[Support request] Reddit thumbnails not showing after installing Really Simple SSL

Home Forums General issues Reddit thumbnails not showing after installing Really Simple SSL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Wolters 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cameron K Dueker

I have a small website called My Easy Gifter. I installed the really Simple SSL plugin last week and noticed when I link to my website’s sub reddit, the thumbnail images dont show. The links still work, but the images wont show. Frustrating.

I was confused as to why this started happening, but after some searching from people with similar problems it seems the SSL plugin is messing things up. Another post mentioned social media sharing settings from my SEO plugin may be the culprit. I use Yoast and looked for a way to change that but after going through the options didn’t find a way to do so. The images show fine on Facebook and Twitter which is strange. Any thoughts of ideas on how to fix?

Thanks in advance!

#146585 Reply

Mark Wolters
    Keymaster

Hi Cameron,

the og:url of the shared pages seems to be using https:// and so does the og:image url. Since the images work fine on Facebook and Twitter I don’t why they aren’t working on reddit. The latest image does seem to work, while they are hosted on the same domain as the previous images that don’t show. Is there a way for you to reliably reproduce the issue? If it does work sometimes and doesn’t other times, it will be hard to troubleshoot the exact cause. The ‘old’ version of reddit has a feature to renew the thumbnail (see https://www.reddit.com/r/redesign/comments/8ajprf/is_there_a_retry_thumb_button_here_on_the_redesign/). You can try to use that, and see if it updates the thumbnail on your subreddit.

Mark

#146720 Reply

Cameron Dueker

Yeah I’ve tried the retry thumbnail and it still doesn’t work.

If you look at my subreddit the top link on the page is from another website that I posted as a test to see if it was mixed up subreddit settings. The 3 grey links below are mine and they still don’t show thumbnails.

It’s not a huge issue, but an annoying one for sure.

Would a different way of getting SSL change anything? Not sure what else to do is all.

Thanks for the reply.

#146811 Reply

Mark Wolters
    Keymaster

Hi Cameron,

I don’t think another form of SSL will solve your issue. The og:image property is set for your posts, this should allow reddit to use the og:image as a thumbnail. Since this is working for all other social network it should also work for reddit. There is another thing you can try, to add another og: property, og:image:url. Perhaps reddit will pick that up and show the image as thumbnail.

Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Reddit thumbnails not showing after installing Really Simple SSL
Your information: