Forum | Really Simple SSL

Production and Development WP sites – install RS SSL on both?

Home Forums Really Simple SSL pro Production and Development WP sites – install RS SSL on both?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve Morytko
    Participant

So I have a WordPress website with a well-know hosting provider (Blueh0st) at xxxx.com. I also use a differently configured site used to test plugins etc. that’s installed in a sub-directory of the main site. So it’s:

/public_html (main site running RS SSL & RS SSL Pro)
    /public_html/test (development site running RS SSL & RS SSL Pro)

I noticed that my SSL keys are in /public_html FWIW.

My question is: do I have to install RS SSL in both WordPress instances or should it just be installed in the main site? I used a hosting company tool to create a 3rd site which went in /public_html/test3 and when I visit xxxx.com/test3 it’s using https without me installing RS SSL explicitly in the /test3 instance.

So I’m wondering if I actually need to have RS SSL installed in the /test instance? Am I creating performance issues and/or other issues by running RS SSL on my /test installation. If so, do I need to back it off in a special way?

Thanks – Steve

Mark
    Participant

Hi Steve,

we generally recommend to also install Really Simple SSL in the subdirectory, as it will fix mix content and add a 301 redirect to https:// regardless. If your subdirectory is already 100% secure it’s not required, but nice to have.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join our mailing list - 8 Tips & Tricks in your inbox over the next 8 weeks!

Integrate with Really Simple SSL

Really Simple SSL offers a Free SSL Certificate from Let’s Encrypt. Do you want to integrate with Really Simple SSL as a hosting provider? Let us know!

Choose the answer that most closely resembles your proposed integration. Additional information can be entered below.
After sending the form. The pop-up will close automatically.