Presales questions for Multisite

Home Forums Multisite Presales questions for Multisite

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rogier Lankhorst 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kfowers
    Participant

I have been looking for a way to add ssl’s to my multisite network and I think that this is the right solution. The multisite will allow people to set up their own website and I want an easy and cheap way for them, or me to add an ssl to the webstie. I have been looking for a way to do this and had a few questions about really simple ssl.

Can you use Let’s Encrypt SSL for each individual site? Or do you have to get one ssl to cover all of the websites at once?

I am doing domain mapping and so the site might be a sub-domain or a mapped domain. Will the ssl work on a mapped domain as well as a sub-domain?

Is there any documentation on how to set this up after a purchase?

Thanks for your help.

#56892 Reply

Shelley Powers

Not the plugin developer, but you can’t use the same certificate for multiple domains. Starting in January, you can use a Let’s Encrypt wildcard certificate for subdomains.

As for domain mapping, I suspect you’ll need a different SSL certificate for each domain.

I use multisite for my network, and I created a different SSL for each domain. Let’s Encrypt makes it fairly trivial with the certbot command-line tool. It also updated the Apache vhost files, including adding the bit about forcing HTTPS (certbot queries your preference).

Only issue was older posts with hardcoded HTTP resource requests.

Again, the plugin developers will be able to provide more detail.

#56893 Reply

To my knowledge Shelley is correct about the certificates: you’ll need a certificate for each domain, but a wildcard certificate will suffice if you use subdomains. Redirects, and mixed content (the hardcoded http requests Shelley is referring to) should be fixed by the mixed content fixer in Really Simple SSL.

#60854 Reply

Andy Gosling

If I buy they Multisite Pro version, I presume I can use the plugin on a single site installation too?

#60865 Reply

Hi Andy,

Yes, that is correct. You can use the multisite add-on also for single site setups.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Presales questions for Multisite
Your information: