Forum | Really Simple SSL

cPanel redirection issue

Home Forums General issues cPanel redirection issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eric DP

Hi,

I experienced a “The page isn’t redirecting properly” error on all my websites. My hosting provider solved the issue but here is what he told me:

Recently there were release of new major cPanel version. They have changed the way how their service process the SSL certificates and causing the issue. Upon further investigation of the issue it occur that the following rules in the .htaccess:

# BEGIN rlrssslReallySimpleSSL rsssl_version[2.5.20]
    #<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    #RewriteEngine on
    #RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Forwarded-Proto} !https
    #RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]
    #</IfModule>
    # END rlrssslReallySimpleSSL

from the really simple ssl plugin are causing the issue. As you can see from the above code the lines are commented in order for the web services to not process them at all. You can address this issue to the plugin developers for further assistance with their software. Once the lines were commented your websites become fully accessible.

Thanks for your feedback concerning this issue.

Best regards

Mark
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

it looks like there was a conflicting redirect with Cpanel and Really Simple SSL. We do have a lot of users who also use Cpanel and every now and then we come across issues where there are conflicting redirects set. Two redirects at the same time will cause a redirect loop. Since this might have to do with the new Cpanel version we will keep an eye on this to see if this occurs more often. Thanks for reporting this!

Mark

Rogier
    Keymaster

As the plugin determines the redirect based on the server setup, I expect this to work correctly when you re-enable the .htaccess redirect: the plugin will then detect the new situation, and insert the corresponding redirect.

If that is the case, the best solution for others who come across this is to remove the redirect, then when the settings page is loaded, the plugin will re-insert the correct one.

Because I want the plugin to be really light weight, a continuous check on the front-end for updated server behaviour wouldn’t be an improvement I think. Only such a performance intensive check would be able to prevent this.

I think in this case the ISP should have warned their customers to check their redirects before such a major switch.

Eric

Hi Mark & Rogier,

Thanks for your feedback. I tested it again after applying Rogier’s solution. I can confirm the 301 redirect works fine now.

Vriendelijke groeten

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘cPanel redirection issue’ is closed to new replies.

Subscribe